os.system and subprocess odd behavior

py_genetic conor.robinson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:56:50 EST 2012

Oscar, seems you may be correct.  I need to run this program as a superuser.  However, after some more tests with simple commands...  I seem to be working correctly from any permission level in python.... Except for the output write command from the database to a file.  Which runs fine if I paste it into the cmd line.  Also, subprocess.call_check() returns clean.  However, nothing is written to the output file when called from python.

so this cmd runs great from the cmd line (sudo or no) however the output file in this case is owned by the sysadmin either way... not root?

/usr/local/Calpont/mysql/bin/mysql --defaults-file=/usr/local/Calpont/mysql/my.cnf -u root myDB < /home/myusr/jobs/APP_JOBS/JOB_XXX.SQL > /home/myusr/jobs/APP_JOBS/JOB_XXX.TXT

When run from sudo python (other files are also created and owned by root correctly)  however no output is written from the db command zero byte file only (owned by root)... returns to python with no errors.

I'm sorta at a loss.  I'd rather still avoid having python connect to the db directly or reading the data from stdout, is a waste or mem and time for what I need.

Thanks for any more thoughts.