Unicode

Anatoli Hristov tolidtm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 05:17:16 EST 2012

> if you only see encoding problems on printing results to your
> terminal, its settings or unicode capability might be the cause,
> however, if you also get badly encoding items in the database, you are
> likely using an inappropriate encoding in some step.

I get badly encoding into my DB

> you seem to be doing something like the following (explicitly or
> partly implicitly, based on your system defaults):

> étroits, en utilisant un portable extrêmement puissant
>>>>

> i.e. encode a text using utf-8 and handling it like windows-1252
> afterwards (or take an already encoded text and decode it with the
> inappropriate ANSI encoding.

Thank you Vlastimil,

I tried to print it as you sholed mr, but I receive an erro:
>>> print u"étroits, en utilisant un portable extrêmement puissant".encode("utf-8").decode("windows-1252")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character u'\u0192'
in position 1: ordinal not in range(256)