python-daemon

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 15:25:51 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:59 AM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 12/16/2012 08:26 AM, n8felton at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello all. Got a question for anyone out there that is willing to
>> help. Looking to make a Python Daemon, Google searches lead me to
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-daemon. My question is 2 part. 1)
>> pip install python-daemon downloads version 1.6, but the site states
>> that 1.5.5 is the latest version. Anyone know why this is? 2) With
>> python-daemon having been last uploaded in 2010, is anyone aware if
>> there is a better implementation for python daemons, or is this still
>> considered current?
>
> The author of the python-daemon package I believe is Ben Finney,
> who sometimes posts here.  Sadly, I think he is a member of a group
> of people here who say they filter out and ignore all messages posted
> from Google Groups (which would include yours and mine).
>
> If you get no other good answers here, you could try emailing him
> directly at ben+python at benfinney.id.au, which is the address on
> a recent post from him.

More courteous would be to NOT post an unsolicited email to a poster's
address gleaned (by someone else) from a mailing list, but to look for
contact details in the package itself. I haven't looked, so it may
well be that there are none, but if there's an official contact point
for the package, that would be a very good start.

If your post is swallowed by someone's twit filter, that probably
means that you're doing something twittish. Switching to direct mail
isn't going to win you any friends :) Switching your newsgroup client,
however, will have all the same benefits; so do you want to be a tool
of the anti-Google-Groups propaganda, or of the
anti-anti-Google-Groups propaganda?

ChrisA