Is there a quick & accurate way to test a python install?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 15 22:09:43 EST 2012

On Saturday 15 December 2012 22:07:54 Terry Reedy did opine:

> On 12/15/2012 9:21 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 15 December 2012 21:19:37 Terry Reedy did opine:
> >> On 12/15/2012 8:38 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> see
> >> 26.11.2.
> >
> > I'm not a python guru, Terry, so you will have to expand on this
> > 26.11.2.
>
> http://docs.python.org/3/library/test.html#running-tests-using-the-comma
> nd-line-interface
>
> 3.x on command line: python -m test
> "Under the hood, it uses test.regrtest; the call python -m test.regrtest
> used in previous Python versions [ie, 2.x] still works)."
>
> Followed by more options and os specifics. It is also possible to run
> interactively. 'import test; test.main()' may do it, but it have been
> awhile and is not documented.

Ok, from that docs page:

root at coyote:/usr/lib/python2.6/test# python -m test -h
/usr/bin/python: test is a package and cannot be directly executed

Same return on all 3 machines.  ??

Thanks Terry.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I prefer the most unjust peace to the most righteous war.
		-- Cicero

Even peace may be purchased at too high a price.
		-- Poor Richard
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...