What are the minimum requirements to get a job in?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 02:43:12 EST 2012

On Dec 14, 11:56 am, Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 14, 8:33 am, Dave Angel <d... at davea.name> wrote:
> >> Do you know any one computer language thoroughly?  Or just a little of
> >> many languages?
>
> > There is a quote by Bruce Lee to the effect:
> > I am not afraid of the man who knows 10,000 kicks
> > I am afraid of the man who has practised 1 kick 10,000 times
>
> It's worth pointing out that kicks stay relevant for your entire life.
> Unfortunately, many programming languages don't.
>
> I guess the next metaphor would be stock investments and
> diversification. Point is, don't just practice one kick.
>
> -- Devin

Then again its worth pointing out that there is difference between
programming and (a) programming language.  If that were not so the
whole idea of a 'degree' in computer 'science' that is by implication
on par with other sciences would be completely bogus.

That academic computer science gets its act more wrong than right is a
different question:
http://blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-1.html

The point of those posts is that this is the current state of CS
education; however that is not necessary condition.