Python version and svn

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Dec 13 18:46:12 EST 2012

In article <kadjhi$kq$1 at ger.gmane.org>, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:
> On 12/13/2012 4:41 PM, Aung Thet Naing wrote:
> > I'm wondering how I can match the svn versions in bug.python.org to
> > Python version (2.7.3) etc? When I downloaded Python source from
> > http://www.python.org/download/, I cannot really see the svn
> > version.
> I do not know what you mean by svn version. In any case, Python
> development was moved from svn to hg in March, 2011, before all current
> releases, so I am sure they do not have such.

In particular, the python.org source downloads (tar, bz2, etc) are just
extracted source files of a particular snapshot in time with no version
information.

You can browse the hg repository on the web.  To browse by tags that
correspond to releases:

    http://hg.python.org/cpython/tags

To browse the current top of each of the development branches:

    http://hg.python.org/cpython/branches

Clicking on a change set id in a particular message in a bugs.python.org
message should open a web page with the details of that change set.

Or you can use hg (http://mercurial.selenic.com) to download your own
copy of the source repository which will contain the complete source
history of all branches:

    hg clone http://hg.python.org/cpython

More details here:  http://docs.python.org/devguide/

--