Using regexes versus "in" membership test?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 01:10:23 EST 2012

Hi,

That was actually *one* regex expression...lol.

And yes, it probably is a bit convoluted.

Thanks for the tip about using VERBOSE - I'll use that, and comment my regex - that's a useful tip.

Are there any other general pointers you might give for that regex? The lines I'm trying to match look something like this:

    07:40:05.793627975 [Info  ] [SOME_MODULE] [SOME_FUNCTION] [SOME_OTHER_FLAG] [RequestTag=0 ErrorCode=3 ErrorText="some error message" ID=0:0x0000000000000000 Foo=1 Bar=5 Joe=5]

Essentially, I'd want to strip out the timestamp, logging-level, module, function etc - and possibly the tag-value pairs?

And yes, based on what you said, I probably will use the "in" loop first outside the regex - the lines I'm searching for are fairly few compared to the overall log size.

Cheers,
Victor