samba 4 release

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 22:36:20 EST 2012

On Dec 13, 5:18 am, Michael Torrie <torr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 04:40 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>
> > Awesome!!!  But what the **** is it???
>
> Are you serious?  You honestly don't know what one of the oldest, most
> widely used piece of open source software it and what it does?  Samba is
> at least as well-known and important as Apache, if not more so.

For me, more important than apache is the set
1. Linux
2. Perl (followed by python)
3. Samba
4. Wine

Linux showed that Unix can run on PCs -- seriously. Yeah the
professors writing Minix also did that but Linux stopped being a toy.
Of course Linus was lucky that he was hacking when the 386 came out.

Perl, which was the first to show that a realistic language could be
made whose programs run unchanged on Unix and Dos. [Yeah we
pythonistas take it for granted today. It was incredible 15 years ago]

Samba took Perl's 'polite interoperability' to a new level:
'aggressive cooperation.'
'You may not want to talk to me but I will talk to you anyhow'

What Samba does on the server, wine does on the desktop... Not quite
so successful but getting there