samba 4 release

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 12 20:51:03 EST 2012

On 12/12/2012 7:18 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:40:47 +0000, Mark Lawrence wrote:

>>> I forgot to put the link of the good news
>>>
>>> https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.0.html

Which has the following:

Python Scripting Interface
==========================

A new scripting interface has been added to Samba 4, allowing
Python programs to interface to Samba's internals, and many tools and
internal workings of the DC code is now implemented in python.

which is indeed great news for Pythonistas who work with Samba.

> > Awesome!!!  But what the **** is it???
>
> You don't have access to the web where you are? :-)
>
> Copied from https://www.samba.org/
>
> [quote]
> Samba is the standard Windows interoperability suite of programs for
> Linux and Unix.
>
> Samba is Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License, the
> Samba project is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.
>
> Since 1992, Samba has provided secure, stable and fast file and print
> services for all clients using the SMB/CIFS protocol, such as all
> versions of DOS and Windows, OS/2, Linux and many others.
>
> Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix
> Servers and Desktops into Active Directory environments using the winbind
> daemon.
> [end quote]

As I understand, Active Directory is the center, so to speak, of a
Windows server universe. The Wikipedia entry may be clearer than some of
Microsoft's pages.

--
Terry Jan Reedy