forking and avoiding zombies!

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Tue Dec 11 09:32:58 EST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> So I implemented a simple decorator to run a function in a forked
> process, as below.
>
> It works well but the problem is that the childs end up as zombies on
> one machine, while strangely
> I can't reproduce the same on mine..
>
> I know that this is not the perfect method to spawn a daemon, but I
> also wanted to keep the code
> as simple as possible since other people will maintain it..
>
> What is the easiest solution to avoid the creation of zombies and
> maintain this functionality?
> thanks
>

> def on_forked_process(func):
>     from os import fork
>     """Decorator that forks the process, runs the function and gives
>     back control to the main process
>     """
>     def _on_forked_process(*args, **kwargs):
>         pid = fork()
>         if pid == 0:
>             func(*args, **kwargs)
>             _exit(0)
>         else:
>             return pid
>
>     return _on_forked_process
> --

Ever though about using the 'multiprocessing' module? It's a slightly higher API and I don't have issues with zombie processes.
You can combine this with a multiprocess log listener so that all logs are sent to the main process.

See Vinay Sajip's code about multiprocessing and logging, http://plumberjack.blogspot.fr/2010/09/using-logging-with-multiprocessing.html

I still had to write some cleanup code before leaving the main process, but once terminate is called on all remaining subprocesses, I'm not left with zombie processes.
Here's the cleaning:

for proc in multiprocessing.active_children():
    proc.terminate()

JM

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.