date-time comparison, aware vs naive

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Dec 10 15:52:55 EST 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 11:57:37 -0800, noydb wrote:

> I want to compare a user entered date-and-time against the date-and-time
> of a pdf file.  I posted on this (how to get a file's date-time) before,
> was advised to do it like:
>
> import datetime, os, stat
> mtime = os.lstat(filename)[stat.ST_MTIME]   // the files modification
> time

What language are you writing? Using // for comments is not Python.

> dt = datetime.datetime.fromtimestamp(mtime)
>
> I am having problems with the comparison, that line is failing.

You haven't shown us the comparison line. Would you like us to guess what
it does?

My guess is that you are doing this:

if mtime is dtime: ...

Am I close?

If not, please forgive me, my crystal ball is often faulty.

> I think
> I may have figured out the issue -- I think it is a matter of the file's
> time being 'aware' and the user-input date-time being 'naive'.

"Aware" of what?

--
Steven