Issue with seeded map generation

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 8 17:53:32 EST 2012

On 8/12/12 22:32:22, Graham Fielding wrote:
> Hey, all!
>
> I've managed to get my project to a semi-playable state (everything
> functions, if not precisely the way I'd like it to).  One small issue is
> that when the player moves from one level to the next, the items and
> monsters in the previous level all 'reset' and return to the positions
> they had when the level was seeded.
>
> I've puzzled over (and attempted) quite a few workarounds, and had no
> success.  I don't want to pickle the entire level (that would be
> overkill for what I need), but I want to update the item/monster
> locations so the player can drop an item and come back to it later.
>
> Should I add something to the 'drop_item' function, or call something
> in make_map?

I think pickling the entire level would be the sensible thing to do.

The alternative would be to keep track of everything that changed
on the level and redo all those changes of the player returns to
the level.  That's a lot of work.  Moreover, everytime you add a
feature to the game, you'd have to extend your keep_track() and
redo() functions, so they can redo the new thing, too.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM