mini browser with python

inq1ltd inq1ltd at inqvista.com
Fri Dec 7 11:37:01 EST 2012

list at python.org> inq1ltd

> > <inq1ltd at inqvista.com> writes:
> >  > > Right now I need some way to display
> >  > > 15 to 20 lines of html in its own window or
> >  > > as part of my screen.
> >  >
> >  > Could you open a shell window and run a text web
browser such as
> >  > Lynx?
> >
> > That is a possibility but then every machine
> > will have to have Lynx. That is not quite
> > what the customer wants.
> >
> > Also, I can download the site to a file,
>
> Or you can download and work with it in memory.
>
>  > convert the data to text,
>
> Using existing html parser.
>
>  > then display it in a Text widget.
>
> The complication in displaying html is with placing images
and other
> boxed content, including tables, and flowing text around the
boxes. If
> the html you want to work with is simple and has a somewhat
fixed
> format, you should be able to extract all the info as either text
or a
> table and be able to format and place it how you want.

What you are suggesting is what was suggested when this
project was originally discussed.

However, I was naive about the complications of simply
viewing a web page. And, making something like this work on
Linux and Windows.

I've come to the conclusion that processing the data with
a parser and formatting it in a widget is the only way to make it
work on both platforms.  Parsing the data also gives one the
ability to produce a module that will work in multiple versions of
either platform and still keep control of all of the code.

I appreciate the Help,
Regards,
jimonlinux