Confused compare function :)

Bruno Dupuis python.ml.bruno.dupuis at lisael.org
Wed Dec 5 19:19:58 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 11:50:49PM +0100, Anatoli Hristov wrote:
> I'm confused again with a compare update function. The problem is that
> my function does not work at all and I don't get it where it comes
> from.
>
> in my DB I have total of 754 products. when I run the function is says:
> Total updated: 754
> Total not found with in the distributor: 747
> I just don't get it, can you find my  mistake ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> def Change_price():
>     total = 0
>     tnf = 0
>     for row in DB: # DB is mySQL DB, logically I get out 1 SKU and I
> compare it with next loop
>         isku = row["sku"]
>         isku = isku.lower()
>         iprice = row["price"]
>         iprice = int(iprice)
>         found = 0
>         try:
>             for x in PRICELIST:# here is my next loop in a CSV file
> which is allready in a list PRICELIST
>                 try:
>                     dprice = x[6]
>                     dprice = dprice.replace(",",".") # As in the
> PRICELIST the prices are with commas I replace the comma as python
> request it
>                     dprice = float(dprice)
>                     newprice = round(dprice)*1.10
>                     dsku = x[4]
>                     dsku = dsku.lower()
>                     stock = int(x[7])
>                     if isku == dsku and newprice < int(iprice):# If
> found the coresponded SKU and the price is higher than the one in the
> CSV I update the price
>                         print dsku, x[6], dprice, newprice
>                         Update_SQL(newprice, isku)# goes to the SQL Update
>                         print isku, newprice
>                         if isku == dsku:# Just a check to see if it works
>                             print "Found %s" %dsku
>                             found = 1
>                         else:
>                             found = 0
>                 except IndexError:
>                     pass
>                 except ValueError:
>                     pass
>                 except TypeError:
>                     pass
>         except IndexError:
>             pass
>         if found == 1:
>             print "%s This is match" % isku
>         if found == 0:
>             print "%s Not found" % isku
>             tnf = tnf +1
>         total = total +1
>     print "Total updated: %s" % total
>     print"Total not found with in the distributor: %s" % tnf

I tried, I swear I did try, I didn't understand the whole algorithm of the
function. However, in a first sight, I find it way to deeply nested.
def ... for ... try ... for ... if ... if. Can't you split it in several
function, or in methods of a callable class? Somtimes it's finally much
more clear and the errors become obvious. Another advice: never ever

except XXXError:
    pass

at least log, or count, or warn, or anything, but don't pass. I bet your
missing products have disapeared into those black holes.

mmmh, now, i see that you set found to 1 only if newprice <int(iprice)...
new_price is a float (newprice = round(dprice)*1.10) that you compare with
an int? is that correct? seems strangee to me.

--
Bruno Dupuis