using smtp sent large file upto 60MB

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 00:34:25 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM, moonhkt <moonhkt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am prepare change UNIX script to Python. smtp and ftp are my first
> tasks.
>
> But, when using standard unix command mail and uuencode without this
> issue.
>
> Our SMTP can send file more than 60MB. But our notes server can
> configured 100MB,30MB or 10MB. My notes Mail box can receive 100MB.
>
> In UNIX, by below command send  smtp mail.
> uuencode $xfn $xfn | mail -s "$SUBJECT" $NAME

Yes, and it is possible to send that much content via SMTP. It just
isn't something that library authors are going to be overly concerned
about. You may need to jump through a few extra hoops, or maybe just
throw more RAM at the computer (possibly switching to a 64-bit build
of Python if you aren't already using one). However, I would *still*
recommend using a different transport for such large files.

ChrisA