Tkinter bug in Entry widgets on OS X

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 31 11:41:01 EDT 2012

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:21:14 -0400, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> On 8/31/12 11:18 AM, Arnaud Delobelle wrote:
>

>> I'm not trying to do anything.  When a user presses the UP or DOWN
>> arrow, then a strange character is inserted in the Entry box.  I'd
>> rather nothing happened.
>>
> Why is the user doing that? If they are trying to navigate to a
> different part of the interface, they need to use the tab key, not the
> arrow key. It's not a multi-line text widget and shouldn't be expected
> to work like one.

I agree that it is unexpected in a single line entry box but isn't the 1st
rule of user interface design to assume the user is a moron & will do
things they are not supposed to do?

Therefore invalid inputs should be handled gracefully (not just insert
random characters) which is what I think the original poster is
suggesting.

--
Walk softly and carry a megawatt laser.