Context manager to save/restore a name binding

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Aug 30 22:36:29 EDT 2012

Howdy all,

I have written a context manager to save and restore a name binding::

    import contextlib

    @contextlib.contextmanager
    def preserve_value(namespace, name):
        """ A context manager to preserve, then restore, the specified binding.

            :param namespace: The namespace object (e.g. a class or dict)
                containing the name binding.
            :param name: The name of the binding to be preserved.
            :yield: None.

            When the context manager is entered, the current value bound to `name`
            in `namespace` is saved. When the context manager is exited, the
            binding is re-established to the saved value.

            """
        saved_value = getattr(namespace, name)
        yield
        setattr(namespace, name, saved_value)

The use case is <URL: http://stackoverflow.com/a/6811921/70157>, where
it's used like this::

    with preserve_value(sys, 'dont_write_bytecode'):
        sys.dont_write_bytecode = True
        module = imp.load_module(…)

That way, I can set ‘sys.dont_write_bytecode’ to the value I need in
this part of the code, knowing that however the code continues the
previous value of that setting will be restored to whatever it was
before I touched it.

Have I re-invented a context manager which already exists? Is there a
better way to do what ‘preserve_value’ is doing?

--
 \       “When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold to the masses |
  `\    over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and |