Python 2.6 and Sqlite3 - Slow

Bryan bryanjugglercryptographer at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 01:26:34 EDT 2012

bruceg113 wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
> Are you saying having a sqlite database file on a
> shared LOCAL network drive is problematic?

Yes, mostly, I think I am saying that.

A "LOCAL network drive" is network drive, and is not a
local drive, local as the network may be. We read and
write such a drive over a network protocol, in this
case a Microsoft protocol and implementation in the
SMB/CIFS family.

Where are your 17 seconds going? Hard to tell. Is
your experience of astonishing filesystem slothfulness
rare? Not so much.

We could probably diagnose the problem in a few weeks.
We'd use some open-source tools, WireShark among them,
plus some Microsoft tools for which we might have to
pay, plus the SQLite3 project's C library. With that
investment I'd bet we could diagnose, but not cure.

-Bryan