Is there a way to configure IDLE to use spaces instead of tabs for indenting?

Alex foo at email.invalid
Sat Aug 25 08:50:44 EDT 2012

Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 8/24/2012 6:33 PM, Alex wrote:
> > Despite being configured to use a 4 space
> > indentation
> > sometimes IDLE's "smart" indentation insists upon using
> > width-8 tabs.
>
> [The 4-space indentation setting] applies to the editor and works in
> the editor for me and others.
>
> [The width-8 tabs are inserted] Only for the simulated interpreter.
> There is a tracker issue about changing that but no consensus.

Yes, it works in the editor. I was referring to the simulated
interpreter. I guess I didn't make that clear.

In my search for a solution, I did see some of the traffic regarding
the tracker issue, but the posts were all several years old and I was
hoping maybe there was a fix by now. I guess not. Maybe in Python 4, eh?

Thanks.

Alex