Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Aug 24 14:46:58 EDT 2012

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:01:00 PM UTC-4, lipska the kat wrote:
> How is python used in the real world.

songza.com is pretty close to 100% python.  The only significant non-python code on the server side are mongodb, haproxy, and nginx.

> What sized projects are people involved with

We've got 102 KLOC in the application (i.e. code we wrote), plus another 104 KLOC in django and 337 KLOC of other installed packages (i.e. everything in our virtualenv's site-packages directory).

Those numbers are just the raw output of doing "find ... -name *.py | xargs wc -l", so they include blank lines and comments.  So, all told, roughly a half million lines of python code.