Objects in Python

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Aug 23 19:49:41 EDT 2012

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> No offence to Ben Finney, but I think sometimes he's a bit too eager
> to emphasise the subtle differences between Python and other
> languages, rather than the similarities.

No offense taken.

> Again, context is important:

Indeed. Note that my assertion was in response to someone *already*
confused by pre-conceived notions about what “variable” means, and
misguided attempts to apply those to Python.

If it's over-eager to attempt to head off such confusion in others who
might be reading, then I deny the charge. Others have said it helps, so
I'll keep doing it.

> I don't think the differences are important enough to *prohibit* use of
> the word "variable" to describe name bindings. Only to discourage it.

I wholly agree.

--
 \     “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” —Aldous |
  `\                                                            Huxley |