Objects in Python

lipska the kat lipskathekat at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 13:56:58 EDT 2012

On 23/08/12 17:44, Evan Driscoll wrote:
> On 08/23/2012 04:19 AM, lipska the kat wrote:
>> Well we don't want to turn this into a language comparison thread do we,
>> that might upset too many people but I can't remember ever writing a
>> method that took an Object as argument, you just can't do that much with
>> an Object.
>
> In the pre-Java-1.5 days, functions that took Objects were *very*
> common;

Well the Collections framework does expose methods that take Objects but
generally you override certain methods in class Object when you want to
compare Objects, in fact String comparison is a really interesting area
due to the way Java internalizes Strings at compile time... but that is
way to off topic for here.

regards

lipska

--
Lipska the Kat©: Troll hunter, sandbox destroyer
and farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun