Objects in Python

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:43:48 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Jussi Piitulainen
<jpiitula at ling.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> I don't get it either. To me the python-has-no-variables campaigners
> seem confused. As far as I can see, Python can be seen in terms of
> variables bound to (locations containing) values perfectly well, in a
> way that should be quite familiar to people who come from Java (or
> Lisp, Scheme like me).

Personally, when I was learning python I found the idea of python
having names and values (rather than variables and references) to
clear up a lot of my misconceptions of the python object model.  I
think it's done the same for other people too, especially those who
come from the C world, where a variable is a named and typed location
in memory.

Perhaps those that come from the Java and Lisp world don't find the
name/value paradigm as helpful.  Still, it seems silly to excoriate
people on the list for trying to explain python fundamentals in
several different ways.  Sometimes explaining the same idea in
different words helps people understand the concept better.

--
Jerry