remote read eval print loop

Eric Frederich eric.frederich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:22:42 EDT 2012

This isn't really for users.  It is for developers like me.
Yes it is a security hole but again, it is a debugger.

The people who will be using it can all ssh into the server machine with
the same ID that the server process is running on.
In fact, this is quite normal.

As it is right now, we log into these machines and start an interactive
Python and use the bindings to debug things.
This works well most of the time but when you do that you need to start
another session of the application.
It is useful to run code interactively from within an actual client session
where something has gone wrong.

In any case.... I got this working with a rudimentary SWT Java client
(yuck, but the application is based on Eclipse).

Below is the code I used.  It has a singleton interactive console object.
I sub-classed it and defined another method "process" which simply calls
the "push" method after wrapping stdout and stderr.
It returns anything that was printed to stdout, stderr, and the return
value of the "push" method.

So now from the client I can process one line at a time and it behaves much
like the real interactive console... you wouldn't even realize there is all
this client / server / WSDL / xml / https junk going on.

############ BEGIN CODE

import sys
from code import InteractiveConsole

class MyBuffer(object):
    def __init__(self):
        self.buffer = []
    def write(self, data):
        self.buffer.append(data)
    def get(self):
        ret = ''.join(self.buffer)
        self.buffer = []
        return ret

class MyInteractiveConsole(InteractiveConsole):

    def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
        InteractiveConsole.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
        self.mb_out = MyBuffer()
        self.mb_err = MyBuffer()

    def process(self, s):
        sys.stdout, sys.stderr = self.mb_out, self.mb_err
        more = self.push(s)
        sys.stdout, sys.stderr = sys.__stdout__, sys.__stderr__
        return self.mb_out.get(), self.mb_err.get(), more

print 'creating new interactive console'
mic = MyInteractiveConsole()