python 6 compilation failure on RHEL

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon Aug 20 17:50:55 EDT 2012

On 8/20/2012 1:55 PM Walter Hurry said...
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:19:23 -0700, Emile van Sebille wrote:
>
>> Package dependencies.  If the OP intends to install a package that
>> doesn't support other than 2.6, you install 2.6.
>
> It would be a pretty poor third party package which specified Python 2.6
> exactly, rather than (say) "Python 2.6 or later, but not Python 3"

It doesn't need to be a poorly supported third party package to require
a non-current version of python -- just something as simple as an up and
running application.  Suppose you're migrating an application to new
hardware.  To make it interesting, assume it's a 10 year old zope
application.  It's likely that to minimize effort you'll gather
(assuming you didn't save your sources - you do install from source,
right?) and install the versions prescribed.

Of course, if you're comfortable upgrading to the latest release then
then, by all means, do so.  For me, python is used for for dozens of
rather significant one-offs that I prefer not to upgrade.  Why mess with
a working app.

Emile