python 6 compilation failure on RHEL

Walter Hurry walterhurry at lavabit.com
Mon Aug 20 14:37:49 EDT 2012

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:02:25 -0700, Emile van Sebille wrote:

> On 8/20/2012 10:20 AM Walter Hurry said...
>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:12:05 +0200, Kwpolska wrote:
>
> <snip 300+ lines of non-referred to content replicated by you both>

> s/better/sometimes easier

>> I concur, but FYI the version of Python with RHEL5 is 2.4. Still, OP
>> should stick with that unless there is a pressing reason.
>
> Hence, the 2.6 install.

First, sorry for my omission to trim.

Second, the reason for recommending that OP stick to the Red Hat provided
version (unless there is a pressing reason) is the question of the
already-paid-for Red Hat support.

And for that matter, if OP is forced to a later Python 2 version than
2.4, why not 2.7.3?