How to convert base 10 to base 2?

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Mon Aug 20 10:52:42 EDT 2012

gianpycea at gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, August 20, 2012 9:50:53 AM UTC+2, (unknown) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> as you can argue from the subject, i'm really,really new to python.
>>
>> What is the best way to achieve that with python? Because the syntax int('30',2) doesn't seem to work!
>>

> Thank you all for the big help!
> @Mark Lawrence
> Yes, you're definetely right: i should have posted my OS and the version but being a very rough question on syntax i thought it didn't really matter.
> I've quite a good general programming experience. I know Java,Visual Basic.NET,Pascal and Mathematica.

note that the builtin bin function is not available with python ver < 2.6

def Denary2Binary(n):
    '''convert denary integer n to binary string bStr'''
    bStr = ''
    if n < 0:  raise ValueError, "must be a positive integer"
    if n == 0: return '0'
    while n > 0:
        bStr = str(n % 2) + bStr
        n = n >> 1
    return bStr

JM

(not my function but I can't remember who I stole from)