[CGI] Basic newbie error or server configuration error?

Gilles nospam at nospam.com
Mon Aug 20 07:41:20 EDT 2012

Hello

Apache fails running this basic CGI script that I found on the Net:

www.acme.com/cgi-bin/test.py?name=myname
===========
#!/usr/bin/env python

# Import modules for CGI handling
import cgi, cgitb

cgitb.enable()

# Create instance of FieldStorage
form = cgi.FieldStorage()

# Get data from field 'name'
#name = form['name'].value
name = form.getvalue('name')
===========

This is what I get:
===========
"Internal Server Error

unable to complete your request.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

FWIW, the script lives in www/cgi-bin/ where it should, was chmoded to
755, and I put the following .htaccess file:
Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .py

I'm not sure where to look for an error. Could it be some non-printed,
bad characters that prevent Python from compiling the source code?

Thanks for any help.