How do I display unicode value stored in a string variable using ord()

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Aug 20 00:44:22 EDT 2012

In article <5031bb2f$0$29972$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> > So it may be with utf-8 someday.
>
> Only if you believe that people's ability to generate data will remain
> lower than people's ability to install more storage.

We're not talking *data*, we're talking *text*.  Most of those
whatever-bytes people are generating are images, video, and music.  Text
is a pittance compared to those.

In any case, text on disk can easily be stored compressed.  I would
expect the UTF-8 and UTF-32 versions of a text file to compress to just
about the same size.