How do I display unicode value stored in a string variable using ord()

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Aug 19 16:31:35 EDT 2012

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:03:34 +0100, Blind Anagram wrote:

> "Steven D'Aprano"  wrote in message
> news:502f8a2a$0$29978$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com...
>
> > If you can consistently replicate a 100% to 1000% slowdown in string
> > handling, please report it as a performance bug:
> >
> > http://bugs.python.org/
> >
> > Don't forget to report your operating system.

[...]

> This is an average slowdown by a factor of close to 2.3 on 3.3 when
> compared with 3.2.
>
> I am not posting this to perpetuate this thread but simply to ask
> whether, as you suggest, I should report this as a possible problem with
> the beta?

Possibly, if it is consistent and non-trivial. Serious performance
regressions are bugs. Trivial ones, not so much.

Thanks to Terry Reedy, who has already asked the Python Devs about this
issue, they have made it clear that they aren't hugely interested in
micro-benchmarks in isolation. If you want the bug report to be taken
seriously, you would need to run the full Python string benchmark. The
results of that would be interesting to see.

--
Steven