How does .rjust() work and why it places characters relative to previous one, not to first character - placed most to left - or to left side of screen?

crispy ryniek90 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 15:25:35 EDT 2012

W dniu niedziela, 19 sierpnia 2012 19:31:30 UTC+2 użytkownik Dave Angel napisał:
> On 08/19/2012 12:25 PM, crispy wrote:
>
> > <SNIP>
>
> > So I have guessed, that characters processed by .rjust() function, are placed in output, relative to previous ones - NOT to first, most to left placed, character.
>

> rjust() does not print to the console, it just produces a string.  So if
>
> you want to know how it works, you need to either read about it, or
>
> experiment with it.
>

> Try   help("".rjust)     to see a simple description of it.  (If you're
>
> not familiar with the interactive interpreter's help() function, you owe
>
> it to yourself to learn it).
>

> Playing with it:
>

> print "abcd".rjust(8, "-")       produces    ----abcd
>

> for i in range(5): print "a".rjust(i, "-")
>
>     produces:

> -a
>
> --a
>
> ---a
>

> In each case, the number of characters produced is no larger than i.  No
>
> consideration is made to other strings outside of the literal passed
>
> into the method.
>

> > Why it works like that?
>

> In your code, you have the rjust() method inside a loop, inside a join,
>
> inside a print.  it makes a nice, impressive single line, but clearly
>
> you don't completely understand what the pieces are, nor how they work
>
> together.  Since the join is combining (concatenating) strings that are
>
> each being produced by rjust(), it's the join() that's making this look
>
> "relative" to you.
>

> > What builtn-in function can format output, to make every character be placed as i need - relative to the first character, placed most to left side of screen.
>

> If you want to randomly place characters on the screen, you either want
>
> a curses-like package, or a gui.  i suspect that's not at all what you want.
>

> if you want to randomly change characters in a pre-existing string,
>
> which will then be printed to the console, then I could suggest an
>
> approach (untested)
>

> res = [" "] * length
>
> for column in similarity:
>
>     res[column] = "|"
>
> res = "".join(res)
>

> --
>

> DaveA

Thanks, i've finally came to solution.

Here it is -> http://codepad.org/Q70eGkO8

def pairwiseScore(seqA, seqB):

    score = 0
    bars = [str(' ') for x in seqA] #create a list filled with number of spaces equal to length of seqA string. It could be also seqB, because both are meant to have same length
    length = len(seqA)
    similarity = []

    for x in xrange(length):

        if seqA[x] == seqB[x]: #check if for every index 'x', corresponding character is same in both seqA and seqB strings
            if (x >= 1) and (seqA[x - 1] == seqB[x - 1]): #if 'x' is greater than or equal to 1 and characters under the previous index, were same in both seqA and seqB strings, do..
                score += 3
                similarity.append(x)
            else:
                score += 1
                similarity.append(x)
        else:
            score -= 1

    for x in similarity:
        bars[x] = '|' #for every index 'x' in 'bars' list, replace space with '|' (pipe/vertical bar) character

    return ''.join((seqA, '\n', ''.join(bars), '\n', seqB, '\n', 'Score: ', str(score)))

print pairwiseScore("ATTCGT", "ATCTAT"), '\n', '\n', pairwiseScore("GATAAATCTGGTCT", "CATTCATCATGCAA"), '\n', '\n', pairwiseScore('AGCG', 'ATCG'), '\n', '\n', pairwiseScore('ATCG', 'ATCG')