New internal string format in 3.3

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Aug 19 13:56:24 EDT 2012

On 8/19/2012 8:59 AM, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:

> In August 2012, after 20 years of development, Python is not able to
> display a piece of text correctly on a Windows console (eg cp65001).

cp65001 is known to not work right. It has been very frustrating. Bug
Microsoft about it, and indeed their whole policy of still dividing the
world into code page regions, even in their next version, instead of
moving toward unicode and utf-8, at least as an option.

> I downloaded the go language, zero experience, I did not succeed to
> display incorrecly a piece of text. (This is by the way *the* reason
> why I tested it). Where the problems are coming from, I have no
> idea.

If go can display all unicode chars on a Windows console, perhaps you
can do some research and find out how they do so. Then we could consider
copying it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy