How do I display unicode value stored in a string variable using ord()

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 04:54:44 EDT 2012

About the exemples contested by Steven:

eg: timeit.timeit("('ab…' * 10).replace('…', 'œ…')")

And it is good enough to show the problem. Period. The
rest (you have to do this, you should not do this, why
are you using these characters - amazing and stupid
question -) does not count.

The real problem is elsewhere. *Americans* do not wish
a character occupies 4 bytes in *their* memory. The rest
of the world does not count.

The same thing happens with the utf-8 coding scheme.
Technically, it is fine. But after n years of usage,
one should recognize it just became an ascii2. Especially
for those who undestand nothing in that field and are
not even aware, characters are "coded". I'm the first
to think, this is legitimate.

Memory or "ability to treat all text in the same and equal
way"?

End note. This kind of discussion is not specific to
Python, it always happen when there is some kind of
conflict between ascii and non ascii users.

Have a nice day.

jmf