Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism

John Ladasky john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 19 02:05:46 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:39:53 PM UTC-7, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> I would like to spend more time on this thread, but unfortunately the 44
> ton artic carrying "Java in a Nutshell Volume 1 Part 1 Chapter 1
> Paragraph 1 Sentence 1" has just arrived outside my abode and needs
> unloading :-)

That reminds me of a remark I made nearly 10 years ago:

"Well, I followed one friend's advice and investigated Java, perhaps a little too quickly.  I purchased Ivor Horton's _Beginning_Java_2_ book.  It is reasonably well-written.  But how many pages did I have to read before I got through everything I needed to know, in order to read and write files?  Four hundred!  I need to keep straight detailed information about objects, inheritance, exceptions, buffers, and streams, just to read data from a text file???

I haven't actually sat down to program in Java yet.  But at first glance, it would seem to be a step backwards even from the procedural C programming that I was doing a decade ago.  I was willing to accept the complexity of the Windows GUI, and program with manuals open on my lap.  It is a lot harder for me to accept that I will need to do this in order to process plain old text, perhaps without even any screen output."

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/bionet.software/kk-EGGTHN1M/discussion

Some things never change!  :^)