How do I display unicode value stored in a string variable using ord()

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 20:21:32 EDT 2012

On Aug 17, 2012 2:58 PM, "Dave Angel" <d at davea.name> wrote:

> The internal coding described in PEP 393 has nothing to do with latin-1
> encoding.

It certainly does. PEP 393 provides for Unicode strings to be represented
internally as any of Latin-1, UCS-2, or UCS-4, whichever is smallest and
sufficient to contain the data. I understand the complaint to be that while
the change is great for strings that happen to fit in Latin-1, it is less
efficient than previous versions for strings that do not.

I don't know how much merit there is to this claim. It would seem to me
that even in non-western locales, most strings are likely to be Latin-1 or
even ASCII, e.g.  class and attribute and function names.