Top-posting &c. (was Re: [ANNC] pybotwar-0.8)

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Aug 17 09:03:28 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-16, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Ramchandra Apte <maniandram01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 August 2012 21:00, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> and "bottom" reads better than "top"
>>
>> Look you are the only person complaining about top-posting.

That may have been true -- in this thread -- so far.

>> GMail uses top-posting by default. I can't help it if you feel
>> irritated by it.

If you don't care whether or not people read your posts, go ahead and
top-post.  FWIW, you can make up your own private character encoding
and language and post in that if you want.  But, if your goal is to
communicate effectively with others, then proper formatting and
editing is A Good Thing(TM).

> I post using gmail, and I just delete two blank lines at the top and
> go down the bottom to type.
[...]
> And FWIW, I add my voice to those who prefer to read replies
> underneath the original text.

Same here.  I often skip reading top-posted articles entirely, since I
don't really care to take the time to start reading at the bottom,
working my up, trying to figure out exactly what the poster is
replying or referring to in the blob of context-free text at the top.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I guess you guys got
                                  at               BIG MUSCLES from doing too