remote read eval print loop

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 03:25:31 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> There is already awesome protocols for running Python code remotely over
> a network. Please do not re-invent the wheel without good reason.
>
> See pyro, twisted, rpyc, rpclib, jpc, and probably many others.

But they're all tools for building protocols. I like to make
line-based protocols that don't need middle-layers, you might like to
use RPC, doesn't matter; either way, neither of us is sending
untrusted code across the internet and executing it.

By all means, use pyro instead of plain sockets to build your
protocol; you still don't need a read/eval/print loop to run across a
network.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that simple text-based protocols are
usually sufficient, and much easier to debug - heavier things like RPC
tend to be overkill. But as Alister pointed out, my main point was not
about the details of how you design your protocol.

ChrisA