set and dict iteration

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 16 22:24:44 EDT 2012

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:11:19 -0400, Dave Angel wrote:

> On 08/16/2012 05:26 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
>> Dave Angel <d at davea.name> writes:
>>> Everything else is implementation defined.  Why should an
>>> implementation be forced to have ANY extra data structure to detect a
>>> static bug in the caller's code?
>> For the same reason the interpreter checks for type errors at runtime
>> and raises TypeError, instead of letting the program go into the weeds.
>
> There's an enormous difference between type errors, which affect the low
> level dispatch, and checking for whether a dict has changed and may have
> invalidated the iterator.  If we were really going to keep track of what
> iterators are tracking a given dict or set, why stop there?  Why not
> check if another process has changed a file we're iterating through?  Or

Which is why Python doesn't do it -- because it is (claimed to be)
excessively expensive for the benefit that you would get.

Not because it is a matter of principle that data integrity is
unimportant. Data integrity *is* important, but in the opinion of the
people who wrote these particular data structures, the effort required to
guarantee correct iteration in the face of mutation is too expensive for
the benefit.

Are they right? I don't know. I know that the list sort method goes to a
lot of trouble to prevent code from modifying lists while they are being
sorted. During the sort, the list temporarily appears to be empty to
anything which attempts to access it. So at least sometimes, the Python
developers spend effort to ensure data integrity.

Luckily, Python is open source. If anyone thinks that sets and dicts
should include more code protecting against mutation-during-iteration,
they are more than welcome to come up with a patch. Don't forget unit and
regression tests, and also a set of timing results which show that the
slow-down isn't excessive.

--
Steven