remote read eval print loop

Eric Frederich eric.frederich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:54:54 EDT 2012

Hello,

I have a bunch of Python bindings for a 3rd party software running on the
server side.
I can add client side extensions that communicate over some http / xml type
requests.
So I can define functions that take a string and return a string.
I would like to get a simple read eval print loop working.

Without adding a bunch of syntax checking on the client side can I get the
behavior of the regular interpreter?
What I mean is things like going from >>> to ... after you start a block
(like if, while, for, etc).

Is this possible or can I not send over one line at a time and I'd have to
send over a complete block?

Thanks,
~Eric