Running Python web apps on shared ASO servers?

Gilles nospam at nospam.com
Thu Aug 16 10:01:04 EDT 2012

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 02:03:33 +0200, Gilles <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
>Does it mean that ASO only supports writing Python web apps as
>long-running processes (CGI, FCGI, WSGI, SCGI) instead of embedded
>Python à la PHP?

I need to get the big picture about the different solutions to run a
Python web application.

>From what I read, it seems like this is the way things involved over
the years:

CGI : original method. Slow because the server has to spawn a new
process to run the interpreter + script every time a script is run.

mod_python : Apache module alternative to CGI. The interpreter is
loaded once, and running a script means just handling the script

mod_wsgi : mod_python is no longer developped, and mod_wsgi is its new
reincarnation

FastCGI and SCGI: Faster alternativees to CGI; Run as independent
programs, and communicate with the web server through either a Unix
socket (located on the same host) or a TCP socket (remote  host)

Is this correct?

Thank you.