Help needed installing easy_install and lxml2

Ian hobson42 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 15:39:34 EDT 2012

Hi,

On a reasonably fresh (3 day old) install of 64 bit windows 7, I have
installed the 64 bit Python 2.7.3 from http://www.python.org/download/

Then I installed  the 64 bit version of easy_install using
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

And then install lxml 2.3.5, for which I use the instructions at
http://lxml.de/installation.html#installation

This ends with:
Processing lxml-2.3.5.tgz
Running lxml-2.3.5\setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
c:\users\ian\appdata\local\temp\easy_install-9__rq7\lxml-2.3.5\egg-dist-tmp-uj_v_2
Building lxml version 2.3.5.
Building without Cython.
ERROR: 'xslt-config' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

** make sure the development packages of libxml2 and libxslt are
installed **

Using build configuration of libxslt
error: Setup script exited with error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

C:\Users\ian>

Now what? I thought I was installing the binary package do I would not
need any development versions.

What do these errors mean, and how can I overcome them?

Thanks

Ian