[OT] Posting under ones full name

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Aug 15 05:37:48 EDT 2012

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:41:20 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Irrelevant.  Why would an author adhering to common principles of style
>> ever use square-bracketed dots in a statement that he authored himself?
>
> You mean exactly the way he did in the post you quoted me as quoting?

That's the usual problem with markup. How do you distinguish markup used
as markup from the same characters used as text?

English has a bunch of ad-hoc rules like sticking things in quotation
marks, square brackets or angle brackets, but no systematic way of
escaping markup in general. There's no standard way to distinguish my
writing [...] deliberately (as here) from an editor trimming it, except
from context, and that is notoriously ambiguous.

"Godel, Escher and Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter discusses this sort of
quoting, meta-quoting, etc. in detail. A good read if you want your brain
stretched to the point it starts leaking out of your ears.

--
Steven