[OT] Posting under ones full name (was: How to uncompress a VOB file? (Win XP))

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Aug 14 23:43:30 EDT 2012

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:44:29 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:46:31 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>>> I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
>>> "ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are
>>> similar). That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing
>>> purposes, though if anyone wants a truly unique handle for me,
>>> "Rosuav" is more effective than my real name.
>>
>> Mom? Is that you?
>
> Eh?
>
> I'm guessing that's a reference to something that I'm not familiar with?

It was a joke, implying that my mother uses the same "truly unique"
handle as you.

With over 7 billion people on the planet, and no upper limit on the
number of handles anyone can take, together with the lack of any
definitive central registry, I wouldn't put money on any one of them
being unique.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that now you have claimed Rosuav is
unique to you, some wag (or wags) have rushed out and registered it on
whatever Internet forums you haven't already done so on and are already
posting "I am [insert childish insult of your choice]" in your name.

--
Steven