[OT] Posting under ones full name (was: How to uncompress a VOB file? (Win XP))

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Tue Aug 14 17:12:30 EDT 2012

Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 14/08/2012 04:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 01:34:46 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>> When did you seek my permission to call me by my forename?
>> Sheesh. It's 2012, not 1812. If you sign your posts with your full name,
>> you have to expect that people will call you "Mark" rather than "Mr
>> Lawrence" or "Lord High Mucky-Muck Grand Poohbar Lawrence" -- even if
>> they haven't been formally introduced.
>>
>> Mark, we're all human and the occasional snark is only to be expected,
>> but demanding that people ask permission to call you by your first name
>> in an informal forum like this crosses the line to total dickishness.
>> Chill out before you get yourself kill-filed into irrelevance.
>
> For the record I was asked to use my full name rather than my user name
> on Python mailing lists.

Apples and oranges.

Probably you were asked that so that your postings could be distinguished
from that of the other potential Marks around here.  Some people, including
me, also consider posting under real name a basic act of politeness and form
towards the reader, equivalent of an introduction of oneself.  Important
enouth that, if not showed, will reduce the probability for an answer
(sometimes down to zero).  For the record shows that if one aspect of
politeness is ignored, other aspects are usually ignored as well.  People
tend to hide behind pseudo-anonymity; they tend to write impolite things
*intentionally* which they would not do if their real name was known and so
their reputation IRL would be at stake.

Here endeth the lesson ;-)

--
PointedEars

Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.