Running Python web apps on shared ASO servers?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Aug 12 17:26:19 EDT 2012

On 12/08/2012 21:52, Gilles wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 07:56:26 +0200, Dieter Maurer
> <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
>> You should probably read the mentioned forum resources to learn
>> details about the Python support provided by your web site hoster.
>
> Yup, but so far, no answer, so I figured someone here might now.
>
> Those articles seem to indicate that CGI isn't a good solution when
> mod_python isn't available

Just to make a point: one person's "isn't a good solution" is another
person's "works perfectly well for me". Modern servers are really quite
quick: the cost of starting up a Python process and generating an HTML
page can be really quite low. I've certainly had low-traffic production
websites running for years on CGI without anyone complaining.

If speed was an issue or if I thought that I'd be getting more requests
than I am then I'd consider a more sophisticated solution.

TJG