socketserver.BaseRequestHandler and socketserver.StreamRequestServer docs

lipska the kat lipskathekat at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 14:37:31 EDT 2012

On 09/08/12 18:39, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:15:33 +0100, lipska the kat
> <lipskathekat at yahoo.co.uk>  declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>

>> in the examples in this chapter we see usage examples for
>> socketserver.BaseRequestHandler
>>
> 	So far as I can tell, all RequestHandler objects are covered in
> section "20.19.3 RequestHandler Objects"

Yes, I know, I've read it. Thank you.

> 	There is no "RequestHandler" class. The section is general to all
> RequestHandler OBJECTS (Base, Stream, and Datagram).

Yes I know, I've read socketserver.py. Thank you.
Why do I find myself getting annoyed here ?

This is hard work but I'll try again.

socketserver.RequestHandler is EXPLICITLY documented in section "20.19.3
RequestHandler Objects" yet does not exist in socketserver.py
Does this not strike you as odd. I certainly strikes me as odd. Maybe it
should be socketserver.BaseRequestHandler that is documented here.

The CLASSES socketserver.StreamRequestHandler and
socketserver.DatagramRequestHandler are DEFINED in socketserver.py
They are NOT Objects, they are CLASSES yet they are NOT EXPLICITLY
documented in section 20.19.3 or any other section as far as I can tell.

This is the question I was asking. I am quite capable of extracting the
slightly obtuse documentation in the section and confirming my
assumptions by reading the code.

So, I'll try again.

Is there anywhere that documents EXPLICITLY all the publicly visible
classes in the standard library.

If there is I'd be most grateful if you could point me to it as I can't
find it

If there isn't how does one go about
contributing to the documentation.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

lipska

--
Lipska the Kat: Troll hunter, sandbox destroyer
and farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun