Is there a clever way to pass arguments

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed Aug 8 21:07:04 EDT 2012

On 08/08/2012 08:41 PM, bruceg113355 at gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way in Python to pass arguments without listing each argument?
> For example, my program does the following:
>
>     testData (z[0], z[1], z[2], z[3], z[4], z[5], z[6], z[7])
>
> Is there a clever way to pass arguments in a single statement knowing that each argument is a sequential index from a list?
> I cannot change the function definition.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce
If a function is expecting exactly 8 arguments, and z is a list of
length 8, you can call the function like:

     testData(*z)

if z is longer, then you'd need something like (untested)
    testData(*z[:8])

The * basically turns a list into separate arguments, and these are then
applied to the formal parameters.

--

DaveA