Looking for a good introduction to object oriented programming with Python

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:20:50 EDT 2012

On Aug 8, 12:14 pm, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> You claim that named Patterns simplify and clarify communication. If you
> have to look the terms up, they aren't simplifying and clarifying
> communication, they are obfuscating it.

By that argument, an encyclopaedia is useless because if you have to
look up the meaning of something by its name... Names are identifiers
for exactly that reason, to make look up easier. Names aren't meant to
encode every aspect of what they represent.

Or why distinguish between quick sort & merge sort? Let's just talk
about "sort", that's simpler.

> The time I save in writing "Foo Visitor" is lost a dozen times over for
> every one of my readers who has to look it up to find out what I mean.

What would you call it that would remove the need for _anyone_ to look
up/ask you what it meant?

> And if somebody else uses "Foo Visitor" to mean something different to
> what I mean, we now have a communication mismatch.

Do we just not use names at all? How do you communicate what you're
doing in this instance?

> There is a point of diminishing returns in terminology, where finer
> distinctions lead to less clarity rather than more, and in my opinion
> that point was already passed when Go4 wrote their book, and it's just
> got worse since.

Can you please point me to a standardised way for talking about
abstract patterns of behaviour across languages?