Object Models - decoupling data access - good examples ?

Sells, Fred fred.sells at adventistcare.org
Tue Aug 7 11:46:44 EDT 2012

Given that "the customer is always right": In the past I've dealt with this situation by creating one or more "query" classes and one or more edit classes.  I found it easier to separate these.

I would then create basic methods like EditStaff.add_empooyee(**kwargs)  inside of which I would drop into (in my case) MySQLdb.  In retrospect, I'm not sure that the generick use of **kwargs was a good solution in that it masked what I was passing in, requiring me to go back to the calling code when debugging.  OTOH it allowed me to be pretting generic by using
Sql = sql_template % kwargs

On the query side. I would convert the returned list of dictionaries to a list of objects using something like

Class DBrecord:
	Def __init__(self, **kwargs):
		Self.__dict__.update(kwargs)

So that I did not have to use the record['fieldname'] syntax but could use record.fieldname.

I would describe myself as more of a survivalist programmer, lacking some of the sophisticated techniques of others on the mailing list so take that into account.

Fred.