I thought I understood how import worked...

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Aug 7 11:25:43 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:52:59 AM UTC-4, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> In general, you should avoid non-idempotent code. You should
> doubly avoid it during imports, and triply avoid it on days ending with Y.

I don't understand your aversion to non-idempotent code as a general rule.  Most code is non-idempotent.  Surely you're not saying we should never write:

>>> foo += 1

or

>>> my_list.pop()

???

Making top-level module code idempotent, I can understand (given this new-found revelation that modules aren't really singletons), but you seem to be arguing something stronger and more general.